Speak Unapologetically


My quietness was often misunderstood, I kind of liked it in a weird way, it meant that my personality was exclusive to just a few VIP's and only those VIP's knew who I really was. It held me back in many ways, my shyness often frustratingly stopped me from truly representing who I was, my quirky self. It's funny though because I always had such a strong sense of who I was, I guess that was part of the reason I didn't feel the need to speak up, I didn't feel the need to impress anyone, which again can lead to being misunderstood. I didn't cry for attention, I wasn't interested in being wild, I was content in myself and I think that came from the love I knew and know.


Speaking up is something that didn't always come naturally to me, it is hard to explain but sometimes it was as if I forgot that I could explain myself. I can remember a number of times that I had said something which was completely misunderstood and instead of explaining myself, I just didn't say anything, almost as if I forgot that I even had a voice! Not speaking up also often meant being walked over, in nature I am kind and I want to help people, but people take advantage, and I didn't speak up.

I have had to learn how to stand up for myself, which wasn't easy. I always found it strange that I had no problem doing this around my immediate family, but when it came to people that I didn't know so well for some reason it was different. It is refreshing to look back now and see growth, to know that I would not put up with half as much now as I may have before.

I find it strange in a way when I hear people say to me now that I am loud, I realise that people will not always get to see every side to you but my shy side must not be making as much of an appearance these days and I like it. The person that I have always been in is out and about. It is so nice to be able to share who I am with people, rather than feeling locked away, free to express myself.

Quietness still has it's place and purpose in my life, it's benefits works for me, rather than against me. I am still quieter in new situations, it gives me time to asses the social norms. I am quieter at first around new people, because I like to listen and get to know people first, I take the time to understand people. I hate it when people force their personality on others or do not allow others to express themselves because they are so drowned out. Quietness also strikes if something is wrong, even if I am trying to hide it, I naturally revert back to silence if I am not happy. However as I said I do stand up for myself now and when it is someone that I do not know so well, sometimes I just have to give myself a little nudge.

I think you have to come to the realisation that you have just as much right to speak as everyone else, that your voice is equal to others and that you do not need to shy away. There is no fear in speaking anymore, there is no worry that people will not accept me. My thoughts may be different but they are definitely not stupid and you know what, if people don't 'get you', that's okay! So if you are shy now and struggle, that's also okay. With every new experience we all grow and we all blossom and we all turn into something so beautiful.

 Looking back now I think this must be one of the reasons I loved to dance so much because it allowed me to express who I was and how I felt. I definitely recommend getting involved in anything creative, it provides a channel to express yourself, because speech isn't the only form of expression. Remember that you have a voice that is equal to others. Your voice is no less important than any other, you too can be part of the conversation. Never feel that you have to hold back, there is no need to speak apologetically, as if you are lower than anyone else, because you are not and I think when you realise this, speaking is not so daunting. So speak up, have confidence and be heard. ♥




Much love,

43 comments:

  1. Wowwwwww .. I know I've said this so many times, but you are truly amazing. I really love reading your blogs / thoughts. I also love your dress so beautiful. Thanks for inspire us all! Hope you are having a wonderful week so far.
    Kisses, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are always so lovely Raysa! Thank you so much!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post love! Your thoughts are so true, we have a voice that is equal to others! You look so lovely and your dress is so beautiful!
    Hope you're having an amazing weekend!
    Much love, Pisa
    www.inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Pisa! We sure do! I hope you have had a great week!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Marianne, you looks SO beautiful in this dress, I love the print and style, as well as your hair, so pretty! I enjoyed reading every sentence you've shared here and I think it's quite awesome how you've grown and come into yourself as a person. I also love to look back and see how much I've evolved and changed certain parts of my personality that needed to be changed to make me a better, more confident person. I couldn't agree more that we all have a voice that's equal and we shouldn't feel any less than anyone else. There will always be that one person in the group that's more aggressive and overbearing in their personality and opinions and will try to intimidate or challenge our thoughts, but like you said, that's when we need to give ourselves that little nudge and be bold with our feelings, too! I think it's a good skill to know when to hold back and stay quiet and when to talk freely. There is wisdom in observing and analyzing the situation and context we're in. As my husband always says, the more you talk, the more likely you are to say something foolish. Sometimes, there is no need to just keep talking because we can then end up putting our foot in our mouths, which has definitely happened to me a number of times! Thanks so much for sharing and opening up with us, I really enjoyed and related to this post! I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead, beautiful!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Jalisa, thank you for your wonderful comment! I love that you can relate to what I have said. It is definitely true that quietness does have an important place and yes sometimes we do need to just give ourself a little nudge for boldness! I hope you are having a wonderful week lovely!!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  4. So true, we all have the right to make our voice be heard and you look fabulous!

    xo
    www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carina! I hope you have a great start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  5. love your dress!

    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yuka!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. First of all, the pictures are breathtaking! The blossoms are really the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on this planet. Secondly, I can somehow relate to you. People never saw me as the quiet one because I think I get along with people well. But the problem is I don't really speak up. I talk to people but all I ever talked about are facts and not really my thoughts. Just like you it gave way for people to walk all over me because I wouldn't speak up. It was really bad. I shouldn't have let that happen because my opinion matters too. Love this article! :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl
    YouTube
    Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn. I am so glad you like the article and that you can relate. It is a skill that we have to learn, I guess it comes more naturally to some rather others, but we get better at it over time. I hope you are having a great week and happy start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. so true! sometimes all u need is a quiet place! thanks for sharing
    have a great day
    xx,
    http://evelyn-halim.blogspot.co.id/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Evelyn!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  8. Such a great post - gorgeous photo, too!

    XO
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. What a lovely post, Marianne. As someone who has a quiet nature, I can relate to so many things you've said.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Izabela, I am glad that you can relate. Happy start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  10. Such beautiful photos and dress. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemma!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  11. The dress you are wearing here is simply perfect <3
    Many thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Do you want to follow each other?
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rena!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  12. So well-written, babe! And love you in this dress!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  13. I saw some pictures on instagram and I say again: Perfect! I really love your dress! All your words are wonderful seriously. Love, A

    www.angiespana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie!! :)

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  14. What a darling dress babe! Love the entire outfit! Stay fabulous! Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    much love, Len
    www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Len! Happy start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  15. Sometimes, I mean, always. We need to be silent because it is the best way, right? I do feel the same. Anyway, your printed dress is so beautiful , also you <3

    xoxo,

    |CHELSHEAFLO NEW POST|

    |INSTAGRAM|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always best that we think before we speak! Thank you Chelshea!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  16. It's so important to say/mention and state what you think, and it's such a wonderful power you should use! You look so gorgeous in that dress and the photos are just too amazing my dear <3
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MissLovelyAttitude
    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :)

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  17. You simply look adorable! I love that you encourage us to use our creativity to express ourselves because it's true that speech is not the only form of expression. Keep on being awesome babe! xx

    www.prettyweirdbombshell.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe art is such a beautiful form of expression and can sometimes say so much more! Thank you for your lovely comment. Happy start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  18. Such a great post! I love the pictures :)

    https://dajanaerd.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dajana!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  19. Its so great that you are able to express yourself more now hun :) its such a blessing to be able to speak our minds. These blossomy shots are so beautiful and you look gorgeous in that dress

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel. I hope you are doing well, happy start to June!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  20. A great post! Totally agree, we have a voice that is equal to the others! Well written! xoxo

    www.naomella.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Naomella! I hope you are having a great day!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Thank you Jasmin!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  22. I really love your dress. Yeah, it's pretty simple one but so chic and fab. Sometimes the dresses that we wear are just depends of how you carry it. Nice babe!

    Elisha | http://loveelisha.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! x