Spot the difference


Spots aren't a new thing, yet they can still be so misunderstood. We have all experienced spots, yet people that struggle with spots can sometimes be unfairly stigmatised, so today I aim to clear up a few of the rumours that go around.

You get spots because you do not wash:
Well this is a flat out lie! People assume that the more the face is washed, the less likely you are to get spots. Yes, cleaning your face does remove oil and dirt from the face and should be done twice a day, but cleaning your face too much can irritate the skin and dry it out, causing breakouts. You need to be gentle with your skin, do not be too harsh and use gentle products, this should keep the skin from becoming irritated. Another point to note is that spots can be caused by hormonal reasons and this has nothing to do with personal hygiene.

You get spots because you wear too much makeup:
Wrong again! Wearing makeup does not have to irritate your skin, look out for these two words: non-acnegenic or non-comedogenic. Non-acnegenic products will not cause acne and non-comedogenic products will not clog pores and will therefore not cause breakouts on the skin. There is no evidence to suggest the makeup causes spots but it is definitely a good idea to wash your hands before applying any makeup to prevent bacteria spreading.

Blackheads are 'dirt' in your pores:
Blackheads are not dirt, they appear on the skin due to clogged hair follicles. The result of your skin cells not turning over fast enough. When this happens your pores will collect a backlog of protein, oil and skin debris. It has nothing to do with dirt!

You get spots because you eat too much chocolate and greasy foods:
Chocolate and greasy foods do not cause spots, but drinking lots of water and eating a balanced diet will of course keep your skin feeling healthy.

Only teenagers get acne:
Well I for one can tell you that this isn't true. This can be extremely irritating for adults, especially if everyone keeps saying that this is something that adults do not have to deal with. You may have mastered a wonderful skin care routine by this stage but breakouts can still happen due to hormones and/or stress. Acne in adults is more common than people realise, so if you are an adult and have spots, you are not abnormal.

Keep loving the skin you're in beauties! <3


40 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Marianne! Have an amazing week!
    ☻☻☻
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Jeanne, I hope you are having a lovely weekend! x

      Delete
  2. Wow! Love this post. So helpful!
    Thanks for sharing, beautiful.
    Have a nice week ahead.
    Kisses, Raysa

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks dear for the tips! so helpful!
    have a great day
    xx,
    http://evelyn-halim.blogspot.co.id/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I hope you are having a great day!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for such useful article.. there are many myths about the spots... your post will really open some minds..
    www.girlzfromvenus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the info!
    Hugs,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you are having a great day. x

      Delete
  6. Helpful post dear! Thank you for sharing!
    Much love, Pisa
    www.inlovewithmyclothes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! I actually made a commitment to love my skin better and I am so glad I did.

    xx Leah / www.eatpraywearlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a wonderful post, beautiful! I love how real and open you are because all of what you've stated is so true! Many of the typically beliefs people have on what causes acne aren't true, much of it is actually connected to our digestive system. I'm currently trying to cleanse because I've had such a bad outbreak recently and it had nothing to do with my makeup and I wash my face twice daily. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring me with this post, you are such a beauty, inside and out!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jalisa! Your words are so sweet. I know what you mean, I wash twice a day everyday and still get spots, it can be so annoying! I hope the cleanse went well!? Have a wonderful weekend lovely!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for de-bunking some of the myths about spots. I suffer from adult acne and it really annoys me when people think that I have spots because I don't wash my face.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Izabela! It can be so annoying can't it, especially when they don't know what they are talking about! I hope you have a lovely day!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  10. Great post! Interesting stuff :)

    XO
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  11. That was such a great read! I'm glad Im not the only one who suffers from breakouts! It really annoys me when people think makeup causes spots, I think hormones actually cause a lot of it!

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! I agree with you, so annoying isn't it! I hope you are having a great day!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  12. Girl, you are amazing! Great post! Stay fabulous! Have a wonderful day!
    Much love, Len
    www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Len!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thank you Angie!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  14. Great to hear some facts about spots, I have have suffered in the past mostly down to hormones it's a horrible thing to have to live with. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacquard, it definitely isn't fun is it!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  15. thank you for that informative post :) The facts are so important to know :)
    http://www.youtube.com/c/MissLovelyAttitude
    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many thanks for the helpful information in this post!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    Giveaway: What are you Going to Do for € 100?
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was so mistaken about blackheads. I've had them for years now, and my husband would always laugh at me saying I have to wash my face more often, lol. Anyway, that all makes sense now. Thanks so much for this post; it was really interesting to read:)

    http://www.yuliannova.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yulia!! I think that is a common misconception actually, one that I use to also be confused about. Aw thank you, have a wonderful day!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  18. Blackheads,yes I have a trouble with it seriously :( Nice post by the way :)

    xoxo,

    |CHELSHEAFLO NEW POST|

    |INSTAGRAM|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah they are so annoying! Thank you babe.

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-in-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete
  19. Thank you for sharing love! Love it!
    xx

    https://theweirdbutterfly.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Antonia!

      Much love,
      Marianne x www.beautiful-n-essence.blogspot.com

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! x